Holistic & Dr. Sears Certified Health Coach educates families on simple, effective ways they can use to live healthier, happier lives. A blog where moms learn about nourishing foods so that they are confident and at peace with the nutrition choices they make for themselves, their babies, their families and in effect for our future generations.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Why rotate your greens everyday? Day 2_Detox

I woke up really hungry, no points for guessing why. I immediately headed to the kitchen and drank two big 10-ounce glasses of warm water with lemon. 

30 minutes after I drank a cup of green tea.

For my greens I decided to go with kale today as I had had quite a bit of spinach yesterday. It is important to rotate your greens. All most all green leafy vegetables have a small amount of acid/alkaloid in it.

Has anyone ever cautioned you against eating too much spinach as it might lead to kidney stones. Well, the truth is spinach and many other leafy greens like kale, chard, parsley, collards and beet greens contain oxalic acid (also referred as oxalates).

"Oxalic acid is a naturally occurring chemical in plants and animals and is also consumed in a variety of different foods such as leafy greens, nuts, seeds, most berries, certain fruits, soy and soy products, meat and dairy products. In large amounts, oxalic acid is poisonous, but toxic levels are not found in foods that we normally eat. The main controversy surrounding oxalic acid in food is whether or not they contribute to the formation of kidney stones. 
 There are a few rare medical conditions such as Primary Hyperoxaluria and Enteric Hyperoxaluria where one would need to restrict their dietary intake of oxalic acid. Also, those who are susceptible and have been treated for calcium-oxalate kidney stones, and therefore at risk of forming them again, should watch their intake of oxalate-containing foods. Otherwise, oxalic acid is not believed to be a health concern for most people. The nutritional benefits of eating oxalate-containing foods such as spinach outweigh the minute risk of forming kidney stones".

Our bodies are capable of easily detoxifying small amounts of a great many things, but it is much more difficult for the human system to get rid of a large amount of one type of poison.

The good news is that every green leafy vegetable has a different type of acid. So instead of over analyzing and thinking too much I just  buy a different green each time I go shopping and rotate my greens everyday to avoid a toxic overload of one type of acid/oxalate. 


Back to my smoothie for Day 2:

My first smoothie was
1 cup kale
2 pears
1 kiwi
3 small chunks of pineapple
1 tsp flax
1 tsp chia
1 tsp hemp
1 cup water

Day 2_Meal 1

This is one delicious combination. Infact, I am enjoying it while writing this blog. I made a huge 32 ounce jar and I couldn't finish it in one go. So I refrigerated the remaining for later use.

I had to run some errands and while on my way back home I stopped at whole foods. So instead of taking the pains of making a smoothie at home I decided to grab one from there juice bar.


I opted for Berry Nutritious and asked them to make it without the banana and non-dairy milk. The combination I got was

Kale
Strawberries
Blueberries
Water
Flax
Coconut shreds

Day 2_Meal 2


This whole food smoothie tasted good but it was a little gritty for me. Rather thicker than what I am used to. I always feel that the smoothies I make at home taste way better than the one I buy from health food stores but some times due to time crunch I have to chose the latter. 

Confession Time:

I woke up little hungry. So as I was preparing breakfast for my son I couldn't stop myself from sneaking in two-three spoons of my favorite upma. Not really a good idea as semolina is essentially wheat and its best to avoid wheat/gluten products during a detox. 

I also had that cup of tea. But it was way less that yesterday. So slowly and steadily I hope I am moving in the right direction.


Gratitude Day 2:

I thank GOD for giving us this beautiful season. It's neither too cold, nor too hot and a perfect time to go through the detox. It is so much easier to stick to the plans if the weather/ nature is on your side.

I thank the lady who helps me with cleaning my house. Because of her hard work I was able to enjoy my smoothie in a clean house and a clean kitchen


Prayer Requests for Day 3:

I request you all to please pray for all the people suffering from kidney stones and conditions like Hyperoxaluria. I pray that all of these people get healed. I also pray that most of us are able to reap the benefits of green smoothies

Prayers so that I am able to stick to my plan and do even better tomorrow.

Hopefully no cheating...


Good night. Now heading to enjoy my favorite chamomile/lavender tea.


Sources:
Russell T, "Oxalates In Spinach – Is Oxalic Acid A Green Smoothie Health Concern?", Incredible Smoothies, November 2011


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes