Holistic & Dr. Sears Certified Health Coach educates families on simple, effective ways they can use to live healthier, happier lives. A blog where moms learn about nourishing foods so that they are confident and at peace with the nutrition choices they make for themselves, their babies, their families and in effect for our future generations.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Coconut Water to the Rescue_Day 3 on Smoothies

Today was a different day. I was not hungry like yesterday. 


Had my big glass of warm water in the morning followed with 1 cup of Matcha.

Later, I got so busy that I all most forgot eating. So around 2p.m. I started having a weird sensation in my stomach. I had little bloating and gas. I guess this was my body's way of reminding me to eat something. But I was still not hungry for a smoothie. So, I decided to go for coconut water. I normally keep a steady supply of coconut water in my fridge. Usually I buy the fresh coconut water from either a health food store or an oriental store. But if I am not able to get hold of young fresh coconut I go for raw coconut water from Harmless Harvest (available in the freezer section at Whole Foods.).





I really like this brand as there coconut water is raw (never heated), the coconuts they use are 100% organic and there coconut water tastes delicious, fresh and crisp without any added sugar. 


I believe coconut water (the right kind, either raw or one with no added sugar) is a great choice of beverage if you want to ever quench your thirst and treat yourself with something other than plain water.

Coconut water has less sugar than many sports drinks and much less sugar than sodas and some fruit juices. It is low in calories, naturally fat- and cholesterol free, more potassium than four bananas, and super hydrating. 

According to Black Doctor.org the 6 health benefits of Coconut Water are listed below:

1. Prevents dehydration.
Coconut water maintains the body’s fluid levels and its potassium content helps maintain water pressure within cells and blood.

2. Fuel for brain and muscles.
Due to its electrolyte content, coconut water improves nervous system functioning and nerve transmission. Prevents cramps and spasms in the muscles.

3. Heart and kidney healthy.
Reduces the risk of hypertension and strokes and helps prevent or resolve kidney stones.

4. Anti-aging.
Contains compounds (cytokinins) that protect cells from aging and cancer.

5. Digestive Aid.
Improves digestion and metabolism via bioactive enzymes. Aids absorption of food and efficacy of drugs due to its electrolytic effect. Soothes intestinal pain/spasm.

6. Supports immune function.
Its Lauric acid content is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral. It boosts the immune system in fighting infection whilst helping to eradicate intestinal worms and candida.


However, as with everything else moderation is the key. One 8 oz serving has around 60 calories so if you drink too many in a day than all those calories quickly add up. 

 Back to my smoothie for the day...........

I went really wild and crazy with choice of my greens today. I used collard greens, bok choy, parsley and celery. The final result was amazingly delicious. Some of these vegetables are really new to me. They were not available while I was growing up in India so I get little hesitant while using these vegetable in my cooking. Well, this was my opportunity to try something new. You really don't taste the greens in a smoothie but do get all the nutritional benefits associated with them.



Meal 1,2_Day 3


 So my recipe for today:

1 Bok-Choy
1 large leaf of collard greens
Few leaves parsley
1 stalk celery
2 chunks pineapple
1 small orange
2 kiwis
1 cup water

Trust me it was really good. Even my hubby like it.

Confessions for the day:

I had a weird sensation in my tummy and felt like having something warm so I ate about half a bowl of lentil soup that I had prepared for my family's dinner. I boiled some yellow lentils and seasoned it with salt and turmeric. Not essentially raw but was the comfort food that I needed that time. 

May be I was having some detox symptoms. I should have ideally let my body do it's own work and give it it's own time for healing. Well, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I will have a new way of dealing with things.

Gratitude Day 3:


I thank GOD and mother nature for giving us such a variety of produce full of vitamin, minerals and phyto-nutrients that is so needed by our bodies. 

I thank all my friends and readers for their encouragement and following me on my blog.


 Prayer Requests for Day 3

I request you all to pray for my dear friend Kunjal who decided to embark on this journey of good and vibrant health. She had great success on Day 1 of her detox and I pray that she gets the strength to continue this tomorrow as well.

Day 4 is a new day and I can't wait to see what it has in store for me. 

Good Night!



Sources: 
"6 Reasons you need coconut water", Available online at Black Doctor.org, April 2013










0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes