Holistic & Dr. Sears Certified Health Coach educates families on simple, effective ways they can use to live healthier, happier lives. A blog where moms learn about nourishing foods so that they are confident and at peace with the nutrition choices they make for themselves, their babies, their families and in effect for our future generations.

Friday, April 11, 2014

So what is a green smoothies? Day 5 on Smoothies


Green smoothies are smoothies with greens and fruits. Normally, you taste the fruit while still enjoying the nutrition from greens.

Green vegetables are low in fat and contain good amount of vitamins like C,K,A and E and minerals like iron, manganese, magnesium to name a few. They are also rich sources of protein. For example, about 1 cup of Kale contains 3 grams of protein. 

Cooking greens makes them more palatable but we also lose about 80% of the good nutrition. Greens can be bitter and eating them is difficult for most of us.However, blending greens with fruits in smoothies makes them palatable and also easy to digest. Our bodies are better able to absorb all the nutrients when blended. If you ever feel the need to change your diet but are hesitant or lost just add a green smoothie to your normal diet. Even without making any major changes in your diet you will notice improvements in your health with the addition of easy, inexpensive and delicious green smoothies. Smoothies are also a perfect way to add greens in your child’s diet. Adding more fruit will make the smoothies more palatable for your little ones.

It’s so easy to make a smoothie. Just pick up one or two greens and two-three fruits of your choice and blend them together.

The greens I like in my smoothies are:
Kale
Spinach
Celery
Chard
Cabbage
Collard Greens
Red Cabbage
Parsley
Mustard Greens
& Herbs like: Mint, cilantro, turmeric and even ginger

The Fruits I like:
Apple
Banana (gives a great texture to any smoothie but due to the high carb content I like to use less of it especially if I am trying to lose weight)
Orange
Kiwi
Pear
Peach
Pineapple
Melons
Watermelon
Mango
Strawberry
Other berries (frozen is okay)
Grapefruit
Honeydew & other melons
Grapes
Coconut flakes or even meat

For base my first choice is water but freshly squeezed or 100% apple juice, orange juice and coconut water can also be used. Adding juice as a base also takes away some of the bitterness associated with greens.

Just be creative and try your own combinations. You will be surprised with what you get.

My smoothie for the day….
1 cup cabbage
1 Bok choy
1 bag baby carrots
1 orange
1 apple pear
½ mango
½ cup 100% orange juice
 
Look at the beautiful colors

After blending turned out to be a beautiful yellow color

Now this is one wild combination. I tried this today because I cooked a cabbage and carrot vegetable for my family. I then decided to try the same combination of vegetables in a smoothie
The smoothie had a touch of heat and gave me a little tingling sensation on my tongue. There was no spicy/hot ingredient in the smoothie but it still tasted little spicy. The taste was good but I think I am little allergic to bok choy. This is the only new ingredient I have tried recently and on both occasions I got hot flashes after eating my smoothie. Next time I will add very little of it and see if I feel any different. Will keep you updated.

For my second smoothie I played safe and made my favorite sweet and simple 

Strawberry Green Lemonade Smoothie with 
1 cup Spinach
1 cup strawberries
2 Apples 
seasoned with lemonade and ice. 


Love the color and the taste

Perfect end to a warm day.


Confession for the day…
Today was a very encouraging day. I stuck to my plan mostly. Just had little lentil soup (boiled) and cabbage vegetable (steamed) and then had one cup of tea. Might not sound good but it’s better than what I did yesterday and at the end that’s all that matters.

Gratitude Day 5:
I can’t thank GOD enough for all the different kinds of fruits and vegetables he has given us. There is so much variation in taste, texture, color, smell and not to mention health benefits in all the produce he has given us. How can one get bored eating vegetables and fruits.

Prayers for Day 6:
So tomorrow is Saturday, the most challenging day of the week. There is a birthday party I must attend and then my husband who is a great cook loves trying new dishes when he is home. I pray that I am able to control my temptations and continue with my green smoothie detox even over the weekend.


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes