Holistic & Dr. Sears Certified Health Coach educates families on simple, effective ways they can use to live healthier, happier lives. A blog where moms learn about nourishing foods so that they are confident and at peace with the nutrition choices they make for themselves, their babies, their families and in effect for our future generations.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Do you need a Detox?_ Day 10 on smoothies

As I was scrolling my Facebook new feed this morning I came across an article titled "10 signs your body Is screaming at you for a detox. It's a great article and you can read it entirely on the link given in sources. In my blog today I am focusing on some of the key points from the same piece.
I am following the article because I do strongly believe that if you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed below than your body is overdue for a detox.

Low Energy/Fatigued 
If you wake up feeling sluggish in the morning, stay low energy throughout the day and rely on stimulants like caffeine to pick yourself up you should definitely consider a detox. 
 A detox can help you flush out the things that are preventing you from feeling energetic and recharged.


Constipation
Chronic constipation is a sign that something isn’t right in your digestive system. If you’ve tried increasing your fiber intake and adjusting your diet with limited results, it could be your body telling you that it needs a cleansing. Frequent Indigestion is also a common sign. 


Eat healthy foods like raw fruits and vegetables, and stop the intake of fried foods, and other unhealthy options so your body is getting a break, as well as getting the vitamins and minerals it so badly needs. 


Unable to Focus 
If you are unable to focus or stay alert in your normal waking hours then your body is definitely asking you for a detox. 

A detox helps get rid of the toxins that is preventing your brain from staying alert.


Feeling Depressed 

Detox can work wonders if you are feeling depressed (provided you are not clinically depressed). Eating foods that are low in nutrition and toxic can make you feel depressed. Eating nutrient dense foods not only nourishes your body but also your mind and lifts your mood. 


Trouble Losing Weight 
Over the years we accumulate so much junk in our bodies partly due to our eating habits and partly due to the environment and our lifestyle. If you find it difficult to lose weight even after all your attempts try detoxing your system.

Detox sets the body back on track. It not only helps you shed body waste and weight but also helps you to adopt to a healthier lifestyle.

But you have to be patient. Remember slow and steady always wins the race. Don't expect any magic numbers in a week. Give yourself and your body time to adopt to this new way of eating. 

Trouble Sleeping 
Melatonin, the sleep hormone signals the body for sleep but excess amount of toxins can reduce the amount of melatonin eventually disrupting your sleep.

Sleeping pills will make your body more toxic, prolong the problem and make you an addict to these aids. Try a detox before reaching out for that pill, it will help you restore your natural state.
After a detox you will be more apt to follow the patterns of the circadian rhythm, getting tired at appropriate times at night.

Headaches
If you suffer from regular headaches with no obvious reason or medical cause, it might be a good sign that there is some some type of toxic build up that needs elimination. 

A detox gets rid of impurities in the body that may be making you more prone to a headache. 

Unexplained Soreness/Stiffness 

Many of the food and beverages that we consume on a daily basis cause toxicity and inflammation. Excess inflammation leads to muscle soreness and stiffness.


A detox can help reduce excessive inflammation, which in turn helps to soothe the aches and pains brought on by too much inflammation in the body. 

Skin Problems/Allergic Reactions 
Our skin is our largest organ in the body. If we have a skin allergy or a reaction, topical treatments will not take care of the root cause. Detox is what your body really needs and not an expensive cream. 


"A detox works at the source of the problem, ridding the body of toxins that can lead to rashes, outbreaks, and allergic reactions on the skin, as well as sneezing, coughing, and asthmatic conditions.
One thing to keep in mind is that a side effect of doing a detox is often rashes and other skin problems, especially if many toxins are being released. These will subside by the time the process has finished, and should not be confused as a worsening of your problem."

In a nut shell our body is full of toxins. Our food, our environment, our lifestyle, pollution, pesticides, heavy metals, certain medications, the air we breathe and the water we drink can contribute to the build up of toxins in our system. Toxins lead to various symptoms that affect the quality of our life. A detox (if done correctly) can help us get rid of these toxins and live a healthier/happy life.

Please do consult your doctor before trying any detox plan especially if you are on medications.

Back to Smoothie of the day...

I have been doing pretty good with my smoothies for the last two days. Yesterday I made a delicious smoothie with

1 cup Kale
1 cup Spinach
1 Mango
3-4 chunks of pineapple
2 cups water

This is one of the best smoothies I have drank so far. I think this is the perfect combination of fruits and vegetables for a newbie. They will instantly fall in love with smoothies if they drink this.



The most delicious green smoothie

I also tried another weird combination

2 leaves raindow chard
1 cup watercress
3-4 chunks pineapple
1/2 mango
2 kiwis
2 cups water


This smoothie turned out little bitter. I guess I added way more greens. I still had it but wouldn't recommend it to someone who is not into green smoothies.

Confession for the Day Tuesday and Wednesday..

I am improving as far as my cheating is concerned. I believe as my body is getting rid of the toxins I am not getting cravings for the food I normally craved for. Lat week was tough, this week is better.

Since yesterday morning I had one cup of beans, 2-3 pieces of boiled potato, 1 bite of idli, 1 bite dosa, 2 spoons coconut chutney.

My husband also decided to go out for dinner. I had cooked his favorite beans but he wanted to eat dosa. So we went out to an Indian restaurant. I ordered a mango lassi and had about half glass. Not an ideal choice because of the dairy, added sugar and mango pulp (which is probably canned and not fresh). I should have just opted for water but no point crying over split milk.

Gratitude Day 9 & 10:

It's a beautiful season here in Arizona. My friends often post pictures of the flowers blooming in their backyards on their facebook page. It puts a smile on my face looking at these beautiful pictures. Thanks to all my friends for bringing that smile. Keep those pictures coming!


Prayers Requests for Day 11..

I have been very busy lately. Sometimes I get so busy that I forget to eat and more importantly I forget to write. Please keep those prayers coming so that I continue writing for my readers and also stay on my plan.

In my next few articles I will try to answer some of my reader's questions about detox, green smoothies, sugar substitutes, what seeds to use, etc. Stay tuned!



Sources:

Bembu, "10 Signs your body is screaming at you for a detox", Available online at Endo Riot, April 10 2014

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes