Holistic & Dr. Sears Certified Health Coach educates families on simple, effective ways they can use to live healthier, happier lives. A blog where moms learn about nourishing foods so that they are confident and at peace with the nutrition choices they make for themselves, their babies, their families and in effect for our future generations.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gluten in Diet

What is Gluten?

Its a special type of protein found in wheat, rye and barley. It is found in most type of cereals and breads. It is used to make the bread chewy and soft.

Gluten Sensitivity:

Also known as Celiac Disease is a condition where the body is not able to digest this protein. Hence, individuals with celiac disease should eat diets that are gluten free. Some of the grains that do not have gluten are wild rice, corn, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, quinoa, teff, oats, soybeans, and sunflower seeds.


But my point in this article is not to educate you guys about gluten but to tell you about the perfect gluten free product I found for my family.
 
As you people know I am from India and Roti (or Tortillas) are a major part of my diet. I can't imagine a meal without having atleast one tortilla.
 
Untill now I was happy eating a home baked whole wheat tortilla but now because of gluten sensitivity I am not allowed to eat whole wheat. So for the past few weeks I have been trying to find a perfect alternative. I tried many gluten free flours but it's difficult to knead them as they are very sticky and so making a tortilla is impossible.
 
I however finally figured out that if I add Gluten free Buckwheat flour with little amount of Gluten free Brown Rice flour I am able to knead the flour with ease and make perfect tortillas or rotis, chapatis,naan and paranthas.
 
So to make perfect gluten free tortillas my key is:
 
1 cup Gluten Free Buckwheat Flour
1/2 cup Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour
Salt to taste
1/2 Cup Water or milk for binding
 
Mix all the dry ingredients followed by wet ingredients and keep kneading till you make a perfect dough. If you find the dough is sticky feel free to add brown rice flour till you get the perfect consistency. Let the dough sit for 10 minutes before use.
 
Try it and let me know your views!!!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes